Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day 2014

There is nothing like a midnight drive, through the hill country, on the back roads. Dire Straits weaving in and out of hearing range as the wind screams into the open Jeep. Luna plays peek-a-boo through the blanketed veil of clouds and draws my memories back to the time when I was ensconced in love.
I smile for a moment, and then I realize how I have suppressed years of being forlorn. The cold emptiness starts to creep in. Mem’ries of what used to be slowly slither up my spine and hisssssssss into my thoughts. “You are nothing.”
The man, who once wondered what true love really was, remembers the day he met the woman that touched his soul, the Muse that extracted the stopper from the inkwell of his lyrical heart. She was the one that gave him wings. The soldier that feared nothing recalls breaking down in tears and becoming mortal the day his son looked at him and said, “Daddy, I love you.” The joy of having a son!
Then the darkness settles in. The beauty becomes a beast and clips his wings. The venom from her tongue paralyzes like a scorpion’s whip! He cries out into the night, "Oh, Prometheus, gladly would I suffer the eagle as to this. Cast me to your chains and you submit to my agonies."
 The wind suddenly becomes a roaring beast, flapping mighty wings that stir the cold breath of eternal solitude. The moon, the watchful eye of the past, ever so slowly, blinks in and out of the clouds like the burning gaze of a blank stare.  Harmonic whispers from the radio, fade and return like taunting kisses from a love gone astray.
I have, once again, felt the cold embrace of madness. Where is Morpheus? Oh eternal sleep, let me rest and forget.

June 16, 2014 ~ DBC, Duke of the Arctic

No comments:

Post a Comment